Children's author Julie Hedlund, challenged participants of her 12 Days of Christmas for Writers series to post SUCCESSES (rather than resolutions) on our blogs this year. She believes the way New Year's resolutions are traditionally made come from a place of negativity - what DIDN'T get done or achieved in the previous year. Instead, she suggests we set goals for the New Year that BUILD on our achievements from the previous one. I decided to participate in this Anti-Resolution Revolution! Here is my list for 2016.
I participated in a class that Julie was a part of (you will see below) and decided to join her for her 12 Days of Christmas. I am enjoying it so far. I'm not a big Facebooker, so maybe I'll go back and add day 2 here.
As I reflect on my year, I realize it has been a huge transition year for me. I am a teacher/librarian and always will be. But, this year my husband and I decided I would travel more with him which I couldn't do because of my schedule, of course. I have dabbled in writing for years now. I've even been published in some education magazines in the past. During the summer of this year, I made the transition to working as a writer. What will come of it? I don't know, but I am loving it!
So, focusing on my writing life, here is my list of successes since summer:
1. Started living my new dream...prioritized my writing.
2. Participated in Teachers Write ...with Kate Messner - thanks!
3. Participated in Slice of Life...need to do that more consistently.
4. Lots of reading...that is not a problem.
5. Submitted a poem to Chicken Soup...still waiting.
6. Participated in Picture Book Summit...it was aMaZiNg!!!
7. Have a submission ready for Highlights Hello Magazine...working on the cover letter, trying to find editor's name.
8. Started Chapter Book Blueprint...am super excited about what I've got going so far.
9. Signed up for StoryStorm for January...first timer, but love Tara Lazar's books.
10. Have a picture book biography started...research done (for now) and on to writing.
11. Joining in on the 12 Days of Christmas with Julie Hedlund...getting me hyped for 2017!
If I think of more, I'll add them here because I'm not going to change all my numbering :) !
12. Have a list started of picture book ideas...very rough ideas.
13. Have my "dream" journal by my bed...come on imagination, do your thing.
14. Have been listening to Institute for Writer's podcasts...and downloading cool tips.