Saturday, December 31, 2011

Top 11 of 2011 - Day 16

My list of favorite books that I read in 2011.  I have always taught younger kids, so I have been trying to read some old classics too.  Not all of these books were printed in 2011, just that I read them in 2011.

11.  Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis

Bud, Not Buddy  This is an old one that I just read this year.  I loved it.  It is historical fiction and Bud is such a sweet main character.

10.  The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

The Graveyard Book  I listened to this book on audio twice.  The author reads it himself with his wonderful British accent.  It just fit the book so perfectly.  Nobody Owens must learn to live among the living and the dead.  Wonderfully spooky with lots of action for the younger end of young adults.

9.  The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

The Mysterious Benedict Society (Mysterious Benedict Society, #1)  This book was just plain fun!  A young boy who doesn't really fit in anywhere makes it through a series of strange tests to make it into this society of really gifted kids who go on a mysterious adventure.  This is book one of a trilogy and I would love to read the other two.

8.  The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief  I put this one here in my list because I know I loved it, but I read it back at the beginning of the year.  This is one that I want to reread.  I thought the characters were very well developed.  Even with the horrific subject matter, it was such an endearing book.

7.  Home of the Brave by Katherine Applegate

Home of the Brave  This little book was a very good surprise.  It is written in free verse and is a historical fiction book about a boy who comes to America without speaking the language, doesn't know what a store is, or anything.  I found a movie trailer for this book that I included on my blog post on this which brought tears to my eyes.  (link found on my book reviews page)

6.  Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine

Mockingbird  This is a book that I think every teacher should read.  It gives such a clear voice to a student who struggles with an autistic/asperger's-like diagnosis.  I fell in love with Caitlyn.

5.  The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson

The Adoration of Jenna Fox (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #1) I am not a fan of sci-fi, but this one I truly enjoyed.  It was thought provoking and quite realistic on the science/medicine front.  How far would you go to saved a loved one, how far would the government let you go, how far would the loved one want you to go?

4.  Matched by Ally Condie

Matched (Matched, #1)  This cover pulled me in.  I ended up listening to the audio version and loved it.  The reader did an excellent job with her voice and interpretation.  As soon as I finished it, I had to go find the second in the series, Crossed.  Problem:  I have to wait to read the third until November 2012.

3.  Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Speak  I had heard so much about this book and its banning from school reading lists that I didn't want to read it.  Once I learned more about these lists through my MLS program, I couldn't wait to read it.  I think that Laurie Halse Anderson did a fantastic job of taking such a sensitive subject as rape and treating it with respect, dignity, and grace.  The book is not focused on that one event, but on Melinda slowly finding her voice again afterwards.  I think it is a truly remarkable book.

2.  The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)  What can I say...the whole trilogy...I couldn't put them down!! 

1.  ??? by ???

Tune in tomorrow...

3 comments:

  1. The Adoration of Jenna Fox and Hunger Games...two of my favorite books! Great choices!
    Julie(Edifying)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. I love your #6 - #2. I can't wait to see tomorrow's #1. Check the edifying and edgy website for instructions for revealing your #1 book tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your numbers 8,5,3 and 2 as well. I've been wanting to read The Graveyard Book and Matched too.

    ReplyDelete